For those who already know about the different methods of getting support, but would like to know about gNewSense specific locations, here they are:
See this page for a full list of all the different ways to communicate with the gNewSense Community.
Real Time Support (IRC)
If a problem requires real time support, with somebody to explain each step and deal with any problems as they arise, Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is the ideal solution.
To access this support, follow these steps:
- Launch gNewSense default instant messaging client, Pidgin.
- Choose Manage from the Accounts menu.
- Add a new account, and select IRC as the protocol. Next, enter a Screen Name and indicate the IRC "Server" as "irc.freenode.net" then save the changes.
- The final step is to add the #gnewsense channel by selecting Add Chat from the Buddies menu. Make sure to select an IRC account from the drop down menu, and enter #gnewsense as the channel, clicking Add to save the changes.
- Now that this is done, #gnewsense should appear in the default Pidgin screen, and double clicking this will allow you to access the #gnewsense channel, where you can ask questions and get support in real time
Some users prefer to take advantage of mailing lists to get help. The advantage of this method is that by subscribing to a mailing list it is possible to discover common problems many users have, and their solutions, before even encountering them! It also makes it easy to see when other users need help, and if you know the answer, to help them.
The mailing list for end-user support with gNewSense is gnewsense-users.
For help in subscribing to mailing lists, go to the HelpOnMailingLists page.
gNewSense also has a team of talented writers who work hard to produce excellent written Documentation.