News about the project is available in the Main section of the website. You are currently in the Wiki section, which is the user edited section - feel free to contribute by creating an account and editing pages now!
This section of the site is a wiki, and as such anyone can edit the pages here. When doing so, please bear in mind our Community Guidelines.
General Information, Installation and Upgrades
- What is gNewSense? What should I know before installing gNewSense?
- Frequently asked questions about gNewSense.
- Preparations for trying and installing gNewSense.
- Detailed installation manual with screenshots (including dual-boot information).
- A more simple installation guide (originally written for Australian users).
Install gNewSense in a virtual machine using VirtualBox.
- Install gNewSense from a memory stick.
- Technical details for converting an Ubuntu Dapper computer to gNewSense.
- How to upgrade from an older release of gNewSense.
- Restoring your system when something goes horribly wrong.
Applications and hardware
- Installing and removing software in gNewSense.
- A partial list of things broken by removing GLX/Mesa (No longer valid; GLX/Mesa has been freed and re-integrated).
- Are you looking for a program for a special purpose?
- Office, Browser, etc.
- About GNOME and other desktop environments.
- gNewSense in your free time.
- How to get your ethernet card working.
- Which hardware will run well with gNewSense and Free Software in general?
- Laptops used by gNewSense users.
- Experiences of gNewSense users.
- Community-contributed documentation for gNewSense.
- The Builder related documentation.
Note: Here is a very useful mini-guide which briefly describes how to configure X-Chat to connect to Freenode in different ways as possible (clear, via SSL, via Tor+SASL):
- How to help the gNewSense project.
- Etiquette Guide for gNewSense Community.
- Third-party websites that gNewSense users might find useful.
Requests for changes to the MainSite.
(todo:these are/should be incorporated in the precedent)
- Why you should choose free software - and gNewSense.
- Summary of package freedom and bug statistics for the last 4 weeks.
- Projects related to gNewSense run by the community and their status.
- Projects related to gNewSense Testing run by every one who want.
- Quotes from #gnewsense on Freenode.
- Upstream projects, or members of projects who deserve special thanks.
Frequently Asked Questions (deprecated, see new FAQ)